Monday, October 24, 2022 / by Lauren Wilson
10 Tips for Creating the Perfect Guest Room
- Fresh and simple - Fresh flowers are a must but creating an arrangement doesn't have to be a chore. Pick up a few bunches at the grocery store or local florist, snip the ends then plop them in a vase. Tulips are a natural choice because they're available year-round and their droopy shape lends itself to fuss-free arrangements.
- Play with color- A guest room should be fun and colorful with something a little unexpected. This elegant green, black, and white room is all about color, color, and more color. With three or four different shades of green, an elegant chandelier above the bed and a bevy of black and white patterns, this room is enveloped in color. The classic combination of pale blue and chocolate brown define the elegant nature of this relaxing guest room.
- Make it plush - Create an environment that promotes a great night's sleep. Start with high-thread-count, 100 percent cotton sheets then add a thick duvet and pile on lots of fluffy pillows.
- Provide a writing desk - Part of the vacation experience is sitting down and putting pen to postcard to share special memories with that back home. A simple writing desk can be a post card writing station or give your guest a place to check up on emails and events online.
- Help them feel at home- Use a deep basket to stash guest towels, a robe and extra blankets. Place it visibly in the room so guests have everything they need to freshen up on arrival.
- Stock the necessities- Everyone forgets to pack at least one thing when they travel. Cover their bases by stocking dresser drawers with a few travel-size essentials.
- On the clock - Ensure that guests don't miss any planned activities (or an early morning flight) by placing a small clock in their room. If the clock is a new purchase, test its noise level first by holding it close to your ear- no one wants to lie awake all night listening to tick-tock.
- Invite them to relax with a good read stock - A pile of recent magazines or a shelf of assorted books offers guests a way to wind down before bed. Bedside tables with current magazines or books that are a quick read. Literary-minded guests will appreciate the chance to wind down after a long day of activities.
- Add bedside lighting - Task lighting, like this adjustable desk lamp, allows night owls to enjoy a good book or catch up on email without disturbing the rest of the house.
- Add a mirror - Hang a small mirror in the guest room to provide a spot for touching up makeup or putting on jewelry. If space allows, a long dressing mirror is an even better addition.