Monday, October 24, 2022 / by Lauren Wilson
Painting Your Home to Sell
A fresh coat of paint in the right color may help sell a home for more money. Homes with rooms painted in shades of light blue or pale blue/gray can sell for as much as $5,400 more than expected, according to a new Zillow report. Zillow’s 2017 Paint Color Analysis looked at more than 32,000 photos from sold homes around the country to see how certain paint colors impacted their sale price on average, when compared to similar homes with white walls.
Curious what colors may help you sell your home for more? See below for the full results of the 2017 Paint Color Analysis.
- Homes with blue kitchens, often found in soft gray-blue, sold for a $1,809 premium.
Light blue bathrooms
- Homes with light pale blue to soft periwinkle blue bathrooms sold for $5,440 more than expected.
Brown living rooms
- Turns out homes with light beige, pale taupe or oatmeal-colored living room walls sell for $1,926 more than expected.
Cadet blue bedrooms
- Homes with light cerulean to cadet blue bedroom wall colors can come with a $1,856 premium.
Slate blue dining rooms
- Homes with slate blue to pale gray blue dining rooms also sold for more money - $1,926 more on average than homes with white dining room wall colors.
"Greige” home exteriors
- A home's exterior color may also have an impact on its sale price. Homes painted in "greige," a mix of light gray and beige, sold for $3,496 more than similar homes painted in a medium brown or with tan stucco
Navy blue front doors
- For a pop of color, homes with front doors painted in shades of dark navy blue to slate gray sold for $1,514 more.
Selecting the right paint color is one of many factors that may affect why a home sells faster or for more money. Walls painted in cool neutrals and blues have broad appeal, and may be signals that the home is well cared for or has other desirable features.